Injured by a Slip and Fall?
The injury lawyers at Petkovich Law Firm are experienced litigators and know how to handle slip and fall & trip and fall cases. If you were injured after you slipped on a wet, muddy, or icy surface you may be entitled to compensation for your medical expenses, pain and suffering, and lost wages. Similarly, if you tripped over a step, hole, or an object, call us today for a free case evaluation.
Proving Liability in Slip and Fall Cases
To win a slip or trip and fall case in Louisiana, the plaintiff must be able to prove that another person or business was responsible for the accident and injuries in one of two ways:
- Did the property owner fail to recognize or remedy the hazard in a reasonable amount of time? For example, the owner may have a spill to remain on the floor too long.
- Did the owner or another party actually cause the accident in the first place? For example, an employee might knowingly leave a hazardous obstacle in the way of patrons.
Typically, one of these theories must be proven if you are to successfully pursue a slip and fall case in Louisiana.
To prove negligence, the plaintiff will have to prove one or several conditions.
- That the hazard existed long enough for the defendant to have constructive notice so that they could exercise reasonable care in remedying the problem;
- The property owner didn’t have policies in place to ensure that hazards or dangerous conditions were regularly avoided; or
- The hazard could have been made less dangerous by exercising reasonable care.
If you were injured in a slip and fall, contact an experienced injury lawyer today.
365 Canal Street, Suite 2610
New Orleans, LA 70130
Telephone: (504) 872-9224
Facsimile: (504) 702-1924